How the shooting unfolded:
• Just after 10 p.m. Sunday local time (1 a.m. ET Monday) the Route 91 Harvest Festival -- a country music concert -- was interrupted by the sound of gunfire, witnesses said.
"It was like shooting fish in a barrel", said an eye witness.
• Police said the gunman fired on the crowd of about 30,000 people from the 32nd floor of the Mandalay Bay hotel, several hundred feet southwest of the concert grounds.
• Country music singer Jason Aldean was performing when the gunshots began, according to eyewitness cell phone video.
• "The gunshots lasted for 10 to 15 minutes. It didn't stop," said eyewitness Rachel de Kerf.
• President Trump tweeted, "My warmest condolences and sympathies to the victims and families of the terrible Las Vegas shooting. God bless you!"
• Las Vegas Airport diverts two dozen flights due to the shooting. Travelers are being urged to check with their airlines for flight status.
• Performer Jason Aldean released a statement that said: "Tonight has been beyond horrific."
Questions for Review:
1. Is the term terrorist applicable to internal acts of aggression or reserved for individuals outside the US?
2. Should the media concentrate so much on the shooter (broadcasting his/her name and personal information)? Does this attention lead others toward violent acts in an attempt to seek out their own 5-minutes of fame?
3. We are seeing an increase in acts of terror which are happening at mass populated events (such as concerts and sporting events). How might we safeguard ourselves from future attacks without sacrificing attendance at social events?